Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Series Of Events- Part 2


The next month and a half was full of several trips to the hospital for appointments; here are a few of the major ones:

March 30, 2016

This is the first time I met with my oncologist Dr. Thakar. I walked in to the department to register and when I looked around; all I saw were people with white hair. I certainly felt like an odd ball, that I didn't belong here. He answered all of the questions we had regarding chemotherapy. He gave us his opinion on what chemotherapy treatment plan he recommended. The plan to being cancer free was to undergo chemotherapy until October or November, complete surgery a month later, and do radiation after if needed, and complete ten years of hormonal therapy.  We discussed how fast I should start treatment, and if I was interested in freezing my eggs. I left this appointment with more questions than I went in with. I was being forced to make decisions about my life that was never in a million years even crossed my mind. I found out that until a plan was set in stone my life was chaotic and frustrating. Not knowing what your next year and half consists of is one of the worst things about cancer, the unknown- your life basically turns into a mess, a mess that you really have no control over.

March 31, 2016

One side effect that chemotherapy has is hair loss. After doing some research I found out that most breast cancer patients lose their hair within the first two weeks of starting chemotherapy. As I have always had relatively long hair I was nervous to see myself in the mirror being bald. As cancer takes all your control of your life away, I wanted to have control over losing my hair. Even getting trims at the hairdresser in the past was traumatic for me. Heck, there was a time in my life where I only would get one hair cut a year, however, I had nothing left to lose. So, on this day, I just walked into a salon at the mall and had them give me a pixie cut- and I LOVED it!

April 4, 2016

Another potential side effect of chemotherapy is that it can affect your heart. Dr. Thakar ordered for me to get an echocardiogram to get a baseline of my heart before starting chemo. An echocardiogram is a test of the action of the heart using ultrasound waves to produce a visual display. This appointment was pretty neat because you get to see and hear your heart. As always, Mom was at this appointment and she teared up stating, “The last time I heard your heartbeat, was when you were inside of me.” She’s been amazing throughout this entire process, and I am so grateful for everything she has done for me.

Read Morea about Echos Here: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/echocardiogram          

April 6, 2016

Today was the day we (Mom, Dad and I) would venture into New York City to receive a second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC). MSKCC was amazing, their staff was so friendly and accommodating I was able to meet with several key players that help treat this disease without having appointments for many of them. I realized while I was there, sitting in the waiting room that there are several young woman under the age of 40 that have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer isn’t as taboo in young people as many would think; and in a sense, that was comforting. Dr. Comen, gave us her recommended chemotherapy treatment plan, as did Dr. Kristein about surgery. It was a long day, and now I had to make decisions. The worst part about this is making decisions, I rarely can decide what to have for dinner let alone make life changing decisions about my health. However, I had no choice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment